Building a new home comes with so many decisions. When you are first starting you dive into pinterest and normally focus first on the kitchen, right? Pinning all the beautiful cabinets, flooring, islands, sinks…. but how to put it all together in YOUR new build kitchen? And then you find out that you have to pick items that are no fun, like vents in the range hood, what sink disposal to buy and outlet placement. OH BOY!
The kitchen is known as the heart of the home, and I’d love to take you on a tour of mine. This week, in Build This, Not That, we are going to focus on things like appliances, layout, hardware, and countertops! There are things I made mistakes on and other items I love dearly.
Here we go!
KEEP – Kitchen
- the trash can pull outs
- the drawers instead of cabinet doors – This makes it so easy to organize and to get items out of your cabinets
- the sink with the low divider – here is the link to that!
- the upper cabinets that go all the way to the countertops
- the pull out trash on the coffee side it also looks like two drawers
- the color of our cabinets (Pashmina by Benjamin Moore)
- the countertop backsplash (Calcutta Classique by MSI)
- the organizers in the drawers – I would have even done more of them.
- the drawer microwave – here is the link to that!
- the dishwasher it is so quiet – here is the link to that!
- the outlet on top of the open shelves – This is nice for lamps or hiding Alexa devices
- the TV hiding cabinet
- the drip rail/drip edge under the sink
- the spot for the kitchen aid mixer – Those things are heavy.
- the transoms bc it creates that older craftsman style
- the stone walls in between as room dividers
- the beams – we had talked about adding one to the wall and I am so glad we did not as that would be busy for this small space
- the size of our island – 3.5 X 6.5
CHANGE – Kitchen
- the spice cabinet – I would have put it in a drawer
- the counter depth fridge – it is WAY to small
- the depth of my range mantle – I wish I would have communicated for it to be 6 inches deep.
- I DID change the window in the kitchen – If something isn’t right during the build, bc of either your decision or the contractors, speak up! It’s ok! You never know unless you ask, something might be able to be changed.
- switch for the under lights on the wall bc we use it all the time
- outlets under the shelves bc that would “hide” it but it looks ridiculous when I plug in my diffuser or etc
Thank you for reading! Here is a video tour of the kitchen. https://www.instagram.com/tv/CE6qIkhn4AP/?igshid=1mn927vmx0ocj
Follow me on Instagram for daily stories! www.instagram.com/terranelsonhome